Share this article:
The government of Puerto Rico on Tuesday released additional data on the number of deaths that occurred on the island in the wake of devastating Hurricane Maria in September 2017.
CNN and the Center for Investigative Journalism in Puerto Rico had been suing the government for death certificates and other records following the storm, which struck on Sept. 20.
According to CNN, government officials planned to make at least 1,000 death certificates available on Tuesday and 24,000 available over the course of five days.
2018 Atlantic hurricane season: Is Puerto Rico at risk for another devastating blow?
Hurricane Maria may have killed more than 4,600 in Puerto Rico, study says
An island littered with trash: How Maria highlighted Puerto Rico's poor waste management
The release of new data comes several weeks after a Harvard study estimated that there were more than 4,600 “excess deaths” on the island from Sept. 20 to Dec. 31. A likely number, the study said, was around 5,000.
The official death toll provided by government officials remains at 64, which the study authors called a “substantial underestimate.”
The government says it believes more than 64 people died in the storm, but it will not raise its official death toll until a study by George Washington University that’s being conducted on behalf of the government is completed, according to the Associated Press.
According to the AP, a primary factor in the discrepancy in the death toll is the fact that there is no uniform definition between the federal government and U.S. states and territories on what constitutes a storm-related death.
Comments that don't add to the conversation may be automatically or manually removed by Facebook or AccuWeather. Profanity, personal attacks, and spam will not be tolerated.
Residents of Japan are being put on alert for Tropical Storm Soulik to become a powerful typhoon and threaten the country next week.
Slow-moving Bebinca will continue to bring a high risk for flooding and mudslides across southeastern Asia into this weekend.
Of the more than 614,000 bridges standing in the United States, many of them face the threat of damage from extreme natural events.
Rumbia will continue to spread the danger for flooding across eastern China well after landfall.
While the risk of flash flooding remains the greatest risk to lives and property, gusty thunderstorms will bring the potential for falling trees and power outages in the northeastern United States to end the week.
A Federal court ordered the Environmental Protection Agency to ban chlorpyrifos, a pesticide linked to brain damage in kids.
Major flooding will continue to threaten lives and property along the west coast of India, including hard-hit Kerala, into this weekend before some relief arrives next week.
The cause of the collapse remains unclear; however, thunderstorms were affecting the city at the time of the collapse.