Columbus
Ohio
Top Stories
Weather Forecasts
Fall allergy forecast: Weed, grass pollen to surge in parts of US
13 hours ago
Hurricane
New tropical rainstorm is tracking toward Hawaii a week after Lala
1 hour ago
Hurricane
Atlantic hurricane forecast changes as peak season approaches
18 hours ago
Weather News
Lala leaves Hawaii communities buried in mud, communication cut off
19 hours ago
Weather News
New heat dome to build in western U.S., further exacerbating drought
1 hour ago
Featured Stories
Recreation
250-pound black bear dies after becoming trapped in Colorado car
14 hours ago
Climate
Warmer ocean waters draw more sharks to Southern California
1 day ago
Climate
Lake Powell sinks to record low as Colorado River crisis deepens
1 day ago
Recreation
American tourist dies after lightning strike on Mount Etna
1 day ago
Travel
Engine fan blade caused passenger to be partially sucked out window
1 day ago
...
...
News / Astronomy
Massive piece of space junk tossed from ISS sets new record
By Daniel Uria, UPI
Updated Mar 16, 2021 10:17 PM EDT
Partner Content
A 2.9-ton pallet of nickel-hydrogen batteries became the most massive single piece of junk ever to be jettisoned from the International Space Station. Photo courtesy NASA
March 15 (UPI) -- A pallet of batteries was released from the International Space Station last week, becoming the heaviest single piece of junk ever jettisoned from the station.
Mission controllers in Houston commanded the Canadarm2 robotic arm to release an external pallet loaded with the 2.9 tons of nickel-hydrogen batteries into Earth's orbit Thursday morning.
"It is safely moving away from the station and will orbit Earth between two to four years before burning up harmlessly in the atmosphere," NASA said in a statement.
NASA representative Leah Cheshier confirmed to Gizmodo that the pallet is the largest object "mass wise" ever to be dispelled from the ISS.
"More than twice the mass of the Early Ammonia Servicing System tank jettisoned by spacewalker Clay Anderson during the STS-118 mission in 2007," Cheshier said.
The external pallet was left on the space station by the final HTV supply ship last May, as the batteries were replaced with more powerful lithium-ion power storage units.
Originally, the batteries were supposed to be placed inside an HTV and released from the ISS burning up upon re-entry> However a tedious spacewalk Feb. 1 by astronauts Mike Hopkins and Victor Glover disrupted the mission schedule and left the pallet attached to the space station.
Cheshier assured that ballistics officers "indicate no threat" of the pallet colliding with other space objects, but added that it will be tracked by the U.S. Space Command.
Related: