Compost is an organic material, like lawn trimmings and some food scraps. Other organic materials like lawn trimming and some food scraps can be added to soil to help plants grow. Not only does compost help your flowers, plants, and lawn grow, it also keeps some items out of landfills.
- Composting requires three ingredients. Browns like dead leaves, greens like grass clippings and vegetable waste, and water.
- Other composting items include - coffee grounds, eggshells, shredded newspaper, wood chips, hair and fur, tea bags, and any leftover fruits or vegetables.
- Do not compost items, including dairy products, meats, or pet waste.
- Do your composting in a dry, shady spot.
- Ensure items are chopped or shredded into small pieces.
- Composting can take between two and five weeks before it breaks down into usable compost that is safe to add to your soil.