A brain-eating amoeba has been found in the water at the U.S. National Whitewater Center in Charlotte, NC, according to Mecklenburg County Commissioners.
County commissioner Bill James tweeted, "Naegleria fowleri amoeba found at #USNWC- water facilities to be closed by county health. Details forthcoming…"Naegleria fowleri amoeba found at #USNWC - water facilities to be closed by county health. Details forthcoming @MeckCounty #meckbocc-- Bill James (@meckcommish) June 24, 2016
Mecklenburg County health officials are closing the U.S. National Whitewater Center in Charlotte, according to James.After discussion with @CDCgov and @MeckCounty Health Officials, all whitewater activities temporarily suspended. https://t.co/SAsChigXEZ-- USNWC (@usnwc) June 24, 2016
The USNWC released the following statement:
"The U.S. National Whitewater Center (USNWC), after discussion with the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and local health officials, has decided to temporarily suspend all whitewater activities effective immediately. This decision was made by the Whitewater Center after initial test results foundNaegleria Fowleri DNA was present in the whitewater system. The USNWC is working with the CDC and local health officials to develop next steps. Only whitewater activities are suspended. The USNWC remains open for all other operations and activities."
A press conference is planned for 6:30 p.m. at the Hall Marshall Center on N.Tryon Street.
The news comes days after the announcement that Lauren Seitz, 18, of Westerville, Ohio died from Primary Amebic Meningoencephalitis, an infection caused by Naegleria fowleri, after visiting the center. The North Carolina Division of Human Health and Safety said the only known underwater exposure was believed to be when Seitz, who was riding in a raft with several others from her church group that overturned at the U.S. National Whitewater Center.
Seitz was drum major of the marching band at Westerville South High School.
Officials: Ohio teen dies from brain-eating amoeba after visit to Whitewater Center
The amoeba is naturally present in warm lakes during the summer and does not cause illness if swallowed, but can be fatal if forced up the nose, according to the CDC.
Symptoms of Naeglaeria fowleri include:Headache Fever Nausea Vomiting Stiff Neck Confusion Lack of Attention to People and Surroundings Loss of Balance Seizures Hallucinations
Brain-eating amoeba: What you need to know
Fewer than 10 cases have been reported annually in the United State during the last 53 years.
Only three people have been known to survive after contracting the amoeba. Two of the three known survivors were treated with the experimental drug called Miltefosine. If symptoms were caught early sometimes it prevented major brain damage from occurring.
Experimental drug used to treat "brain eating" amoeba
FOX46Charlotte is working to gather more details. Keep refreshing this story as more information becomes available.
Portions of North and South Carolina will face the threat for heavy thunderstorms that could turn severe into Friday evening.
El Niño officially came to an end in early June, and experts are calling for a La Niña to develop in its footsteps.
Extreme heat helped trigger several large wildfires in the Southwest while severe weather claimed more than 170 lives in parts of Asia this week.
With the start of summer comes more time traveling and the unfortunate mess some items will leave if left baking in a hot car.Read Story >
Extreme heat helped trigger several large wildfires in the Southwest while severe weather claimed more than 170 lives in parts of Asia this week.Read Story >