Upcoming Best Fishing Days
March 22-April 6
April 21-May 5
See more best days for fishing in 2012.
For your customized moon times, see our Moon Phase Calendar.
The sun, moon, tides and weather all influence fish activity. For example, fish tend to feed more at sunrise and sunset. During a full moon, tides are higher than average and fish tend to feed more.
However, most of us go fishing when we can get the time off, not because it is the best time!
Best Times for Fishing
* One hour before and one hour after high tides, and one hour before and one hour after low tides. Inland, the times for high tides correspond with the times when the Moon is due south. Low tides are halfway between high tides. You can find out more about tides here.
* During the "morning rise" (after sunup for a spell) and the "evening rise" (just before sundown and the hour or so after).
* When the barometer is steady or on the rise. (But even during stormy periods, the fish aren't going to give up feeding. The smart fisherman will find just the right bait.)
* When there is a hatch of flies-caddis flies or mayflies, commonly. (The fisherman will have to match his fly with the hatching flies or go fishless.)
* When the breeze is from a westerly quarter rather than from the north or east.
* When the water is still or rippled, rather than during a wind.
* Fishing line
* Swivels, to keep fishing line from twisting
* Different sizes of hooks
* Pliers, to help remove hooks
* Stringer, to hold all the fish you catch
* Sharp knife
* First-aid kit
* Insect repellent
* Unscented soap to wash your hands before handling bait. -suggested by Jerry Buerge
See bait tips and add your own suggestions to our fishing page.
More Fishing Fun
Continue reading about fishing.
Snow and ice storms have taken aim at the Central U.S. this week, while record-setting Sandra strengthened into a major hurricane south of Mexico.Read Story >