Multi-location, resizable widgets, optional weather graphs with different layers of detail, and more customizing now available
STATE COLLEGE, PA - February 28, 2013 - The new AccuWeather for Android app takes advantage of many of the new conventions offered by the Android operating system with user-friendly features such as multiple, multi-location and resizable widgets, optional weather graphs with different layers of detail, and even more customization. The app also offers the same experience across all Android smartphones and tablets.
"The new AccuWeather app is truly responsive to the needs of our Android users," said Pascal Racheneur, AccuWeather Vice President of Interactive Media. "It was designed for the user who wants immediately descriptive weather images with minimal text, while the user who wants more information may choose to dive into the bright weather graphs for more weather detail."
AccuWeather worked closely with Google to follow their design guidelines and to capture everything their new operating system has to offer consumers.
More new features include:
- Local forecasts for 2.7 million locations worldwide with forecasts that now update every 15 minutes. Information includes forecasts for the next 15 days - all available in 27 languages.
- Current weather conditions also now updating every 15 minutes with the very latest humidity and precipitation percentages, dew point, visibility, UV index, wind speed gusts and direction, times for sunrise and sunset, and RealFeel® - AccuWeather's exclusive weather forecasting system that analyzes multiple weather factors to determine how the local temperature actually feels.
- Home screen widget displaying two-day forecasts with severe weather warnings for your GPS location, and a time clock. Resizable home screen widgets that can show multiple locations of your choosing are also now available with even more weather detail.
- Customizable My AccuWeather lifestyle forecasts for specific health concerns and outdoor activities. Categories include: Outdoor Fitness, Travel, Respiratory Health, Fishing and Game, and Do-It-Yourself.
- Push notifications for severe weather alerts in the United States, now available for Android tablets in addition to smartphones. For worldwide locations, when AccuWeather forecasts snow, ice, rain, or the probability of thunderstorms, you will see an orange exclamation point displayed within the location's current and 15-day screens.
- European radar now available, in addition to the radar for North America. Worldwide satellite overlaying interactive Google Maps™ is also an option, along with a snapshot view of the maps for your saved locations.
- New, local weather forecast summaries providing an overview of the next five days' weather forecast along with a description of the most dramatic weather event expected during the five days.
- The option to select either portrait and landscape views.
AccuWeather is available for free from Google Play, https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.accuweather.android&referrer=utm_source%3Dv3%26utm_medium%3DPR.
An ad free version of AccuWeather with 25-day forecasts, named AccuWeather Platinum, is also available from Google Play. AccuWeather Platinum can be downloaded for a one-time fee of $0.99 for a limited time only. The regular price is $2.99, but the new app is on sale in celebration of its availability.
About AccuWeather, Inc., and AccuWeather.com
Every day 750 million people worldwide rely on AccuWeather to help them plan their lives, protect their businesses, and get more from their day. AccuWeather provides hourly forecasts for more than 2.7 million locations worldwide, with customized content and engaging video presentations available on smartphones, tablets, wired and mobile internet sites, connected TVs and Internet appliances, as well as via radio, television, and newspapers. Founded in 1962 by Dr. Joel N. Myers - a Fellow of the American Meteorological Society who was recognized as one of the top entrepreneurs in American history by Entrepreneur Magazine's Encyclopedia of Entrepreneurs - AccuWeather also delivers a wide range of highly-customized enterprise solutions to media, business, government, and institutions, as well as news and weather content and video for more than 72,000 third-party websites.
AccuWeather Enterprise Solutions (AES) is partnering with leading Geographic Information System (GIS) solutions supplier Environmental Systems Research Institute (Esri) at the 2014 International User Conference, taking a leadership role to benefit this week's event. AccuWeatherÃƒÂ‚Ã‚Â’s Chief Commercial Officer Casey McGeever will serve as keynote speaker for the ÃƒÂ‚Ã‚Â“Weather in GIS TrackÃƒÂ‚Ã‚Â”, while two other members of the AES team present at the Business Summit: Technology Plenary.
Dr. Joel N. Myers, Founder, President and Chairman of AccuWeather, Inc. has been reappointed to the Team Pennsylvania Foundation Board of Directors, providing the organization with leadership and expertise on the private business sector. This reappointment by Pennsylvania Governor Tom Corbett establishes Myers as one of the longest-serving board members for Team PA Foundation, having served on the board for more than 16 years under governors of both political parties.
AccuWeather Enterprise Services provides Intelligent Data Portal users with high-resolution radar to track local storms, lightning strikes, wildfire reports, hurricanes, and other environmental factors. They also provide the most up-to-date watches and warnings; helping agents in the field make the best informed decisions when lives may be at stake.
AccuWeather, a leading global digital media company, was honored during Internet Week New York with the 2014 APPY Award for Mobile Weather Apps. AccuWeather’s award is in recognition of the company’s newly-designed iPhone app reimagined for iOS 7, AccuWeather – Weather for Life™, which showcases AccuWeather’s exclusive MinuteCast™.
AccuWeather, Inc.’s Display Systems and Services division has just signed a deal with the Nigeria's World Entertainment TV Ltd. to install four StoryTeller™ Interactive Touchscreen News Solution in their network headquarters. The turnkey StoryTeller systems will initially provide the network with the ability to deliver interactive social media commentary and weather forecasts to the network’s West African television audience, thanks to proprietary applications created by AccuWeather. Additional applications for delivering interactive presentations on virtually any topic are easily downloaded and implemented, much like those used in tablets and smartphones.
AccuWeather, the leading global digital media company, announced today that the innovative AccuWeather MinuteCast™ is now available on its web and mobile websites for Canadian locations as well as for the continental U.S. The Minute by Minute™ forecasts help users make decisions on the spot, wherever they go.
The AccuWeather Channel is building momentum with TV industry leaders as a smarter weather choice that combines value, a multi-platform experience, and a trusted brand that delivers Superior Accuracy™ to audiences around the world.
The StoryTeller® INRIX Traffic App now delivers an expanded range of features including projected drive times, customizable street labeling, the use of Webcams and sensors from any source for remote updates and visual reporting, and MinuteCast™, a feature exclusive to AccuWeather brand partners, for precipitation start and end times.
With drone technology, journalists have a whole new way to get better angles on stories and bring viewers closer to the action. Drone and remote location videos can now be integrated live with StoryTeller interactive presentations, revolutionizing the newsroom. Best of all, downloading and using StoryTeller applications and features that allow the integration of remote video is now as fast and easy as adding an app to a smartphone.
Social media has the unique advantage of giving newsrooms instant feedback, opinions, and visual content from viewers as stories are breaking. With the launch of the improved StoryTeller Social Media App at the 2014 National Association of Broadcasters (NAB) Show, newsrooms will now have the ability to import popular social media feeds with viewer comments and images with greater ease and effectiveness in StoryTeller Interactive Touchscreen Solution created by AccuWeather. New features also allow the app to import video and dynamically screen and sort all content for on-air use. Best of all, downloading and using the expanded Social Media App is as fast and easy as adding an app to a smartphone.