Share this article:
Hurricane Irma caused widespread extended power outages throughout Florida, Georgia and the Carolinas. The power outages have sparked an increase in generator use in the affected areas.
Improper generator use has led to dozens of carbon monoxide poisoning incidents following Irma.
A Titusville family of eight and their two dogs were treated for carbon monoxide poisoning after keeping their generator inside a closed garage, according to Titusville officials.
Twenty more people, including five children, were taken to area hospitals Tuesday morning after a hazmat situation, as a precaution because of the threat of carbon monoxide poisoning due to the proximity of a generator, according to the Bonita Springs Fire Rescue.
One person died and three more people were treated for carbon monoxide poisoning from a generator inside a home, according to the Daytona Beach Fire Department. Three people died and four more were injured due to carbon monoxide poisoning in Orange County, according to the Orange County Sheriff's Office.
How to use a generator safely after a hurricane strikes
Irma cuts power to record number of Florida residents; Utility workers travel from Canada, 30 states to aid restoration
8 dead, over 100 evacuated from Hollywood, Florida, nursing home left without power from Irma
A 7-year-old girl died after a generator was used inside her home, according to a tweet from the Polk County Sheriff's Office.
Carbon monoxide from a generator is also suspected in the death of a man in Miami, and authorities say another dozen people were treated for carbon monoxide on Tuesday in Polk and Brevard counties.
Four families suffered carbon monoxide poisoning after keeping running generators in closed garages in West Palm Beach, Delray Beach and Boca Raton, according to the Department of Health.
In the event of an extended power outage, such as during Irma, having a generator at home can be a huge advantage. However, it can cause serious harm or even death if used incorrectly.
Portable generators produce as much carbon monoxide as hundreds of cars. They have the potential to kill a person within minutes, according to the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC).
Carbon monoxide poisoning sends more than 20,000 people to the emergency room each year, according to the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST).
Due to the risks, generators should never be operated anywhere inside a home, including in garages or basements. Generators should be at least 30 feet away from your home and should operate only in dry areas.
There are a number of other safety tips that can help prevent harm.
AccuWeather provides more generator safety tips to prevent these tragedies.
Comments that don't add to the conversation may be automatically or manually removed by Facebook or AccuWeather. Profanity, personal attacks, and spam will not be tolerated.
A group of women, youth and community leaders rescued an abandoned school and transformed it into the second Mutual Support Center in Caguas, Puerto Rico.
Advances in weather science and technology and cooperation between government weather services and the American Weather Industry, have resulted in increasingly accurate tornado warnings. This has led to greatly reduced risk for such tragedies when warnings provide enough time to move people to safety when severe weather threatens.
Un grupo de mujeres, jóvenes y líderes comunitarios rescataron una escuela abandonada para convertirla en el segundo Centro de Apoyo Mutuo de Caguas, Puerto Rico.
Conference play is well underway and several matchups will take place amid less than ideal weather conditions.
Tropical moisture will converge over the southern Plains and open the atmospheric faucet to the point of drought relief and flood potential into this weekend.
La forma en que FEMA evalúa tradicionalmente los casos de pérdidas por desastres en los Estados Unidos continentales y la realidad económica que impera en el territorio de Puerto Rico, ha provocado que miles de puertorriqueños continúen sin un techo seguro.
The administrative disparity between the way in which FEMA traditionally assesses cases in the United States and the economic and legal reality under which the territory of Puerto Rico operates, has left thousands of American citizens in the island sin techo (without a roof).
After Hurricane Maria passed through Puerto Rico last year, the neonatal intensive care unit of the the Dr. Antonio Ortiz University Pediatric Hospital suffered significant damage: a window was torn off by the forces of the cyclone, letting water and winds rage inside the room.