10 Facts You Want to Know about Tornadoes
By By Bo Zhang, AccuWeather.com Staff Writer
June 27, 2011, 6:28:47 AM EDT
Share this article:
1. How many tornadoes hit the U.S. yearly? Tornado reporting methods have changed a lot in the last several decades, so the officially recorded tornadoes are believed to be incomplete. Although the actual average is unknown, recent trends indicate the number is around 1,300. This year, the number of tornadoes is 1,151 reports which is on pace for a record season.
2. How many people are killed by tornadoes every year? On average, about 60 people are killed by tornadoes every year, most from flying or falling debris.
3. What were the top 10 deadliest U.S. tornadoes in the past? 1) March 18, 1925, Tri-State (Mo./Ill./Ind.), 695 deaths 2) May 6, 1840, Natches, Miss., 317 deaths 3) May 27, 1896, St. Louis, Mo., 255 deaths 4) April 5, 1936, Tupelo, Miss., 216 deaths 5) April 6, 1936, Gainesville, Ga., 203 deaths 6) April 9, 1947, Woodward, Okla., 181 deaths 7) April 24, 1908, Amite, La.,/Purvis, Miss., 143 deaths 8) May 22, 2011, Joplin, Mo., 124 deaths (pending final totals) 9) June 12, 1899, New Richmond, Wis., 117 deaths 10) June 8, 1953, Flint, Mich., 115 deaths
4. What city has been hit by the most tornadoes? Oklahoma City. The exact count is not known, but the total is more than 100.
5. Which city/town holds the most tornado fatalities in a single city or town? Murphysboro, Ill. - at least 234 people lost their lives during the March 1925 "Tri-state" tornado.
6. What was the deadliest U.S. tornado day? The Dixie Alley tornado outbreak on April 27, 2011, set a record of 335 deaths.
7. What was the biggest outbreaks of tornadoes? The Super Outbreak of April 3–4, 1974, spawned 148 confirmed tornadoes in 13 states and resulted in the second highest death toll (317) for a tornado outbreak in the United States. The April 25-28, 2011, outbreak may exceed this number once the final number of tornadoes is counted. So far, there have been 492 tornado reports. 8. What was the biggest known tornado? The Hallam, Neb., tornado of May 22, 2004, had the peak width of nearly 2.5 miles, which is close to the maximum size for tornadoes. 9. What was the strongest tornado? What is the highest wind speed in a tornado? Tornado wind speeds have only been recorded in weaker ones, since violent tornadoes could destroy weather instruments. The highest winds that have ever been found during a tornado were about 302 mph near Bridge Creek, Okla., on May 3, 1999.
10. What were the costliest tornadoes? On June 8, 1966, the Topeka, Kan., tornado had a cost of about $1,680,136,978 in 2010 dollars.
Comments that don't add to the conversation may be automatically or manually removed by Facebook or AccuWeather. Profanity, personal attacks, and spam will not be tolerated.
More Weather News
California to receive ‘dramatic relief’ from wildfire smoke as Camp Fire survivors seek safer shelter
Weather News - November 19, 2018, 2:22:04 PM EST
People that fled their homes to escape the Camp Fire are on the move again before a storm delivers drenching rain to California.
Weather News - November 19, 2018, 2:15:44 PM EST
For the third straight year, the American Farm Bureau Federation found the average cost of Thanksgiving dinner to have declined in total price from the previous year's holiday.
Weather News - November 19, 2018, 11:37:07 AM EST
The coldest air so far this season will sweep across northern Europe during the first half of this week, bringing the potential for snow to some communities.
Weather News - November 19, 2018, 11:11:50 AM EST
Despite not becoming a cyclone, a storm is still expected to threaten southern India with flooding rain this week.
Black Friday forecast: Storms to drench Deep South; Shoppers to encounter chilly weather in Northeast
Weather News - November 19, 2018, 1:41:18 PM EST
The holiday shopping season officially begins on Black Friday, and for many Americans planning a long day of bargain hunting, the weather should not impede their trips to the stores.
Weather News - November 19, 2018, 10:23:58 AM EST
Residents of the Philippines will have to remain vigilant for flash flooding and mudslides as a tropical depression tracks across the country during the first half of this week.
Weather News - November 19, 2018, 1:47:56 PM EST
Travelers going to and from the Northeast on Wednesday could be battling wintry weather.
Weather News - November 19, 2018, 10:18:58 AM EST
On the heels of deadly Tropical Storm Toraji, a budding tropical storm will bring a renewed risk of flooding and mudslides to Vietnam later this week.