Minneapolis Police Chief Medaria Arradondo says parts of an incident that led to the shooting of an innocent bystander at the 6th Street and Hennepin Avenue bus stop were captured on camera.
The shooting happened at about 7 p.m. Monday night. According to Minneapolis police, two men were arguing and one man pulled out a gun, shot and missed, hitting the bystander in the hip. The man was taken to HCMC, where he underwent surgery and was in stable condition Tuesday.
"An innocent person was injured because someone with no regard or respect for others chose to settle their conflict with a weapon," Arradondo said in a statement Tuesday morning. "Parts of this incident were captured on camera. MPD is leveraging technology to vigorously go after those perpetrating violence in Minneapolis."
Police have not been able to recover the weapon. They had one suspect in custody, but released him after determining he was not connected to the shooting.
Statement from Minneapolis Police Chief Medaria Arradondo
"Yesterday evening in Downtown Minneapolis a fight between two men ended when one pulled out a handgun and fired it. Tragically that round struck a bystander.
"An innocent person was injured because someone with no regard or respect for others chose to settle their conflict with a weapon. Fortunately, the victim is currently in stable condition.
"Parts of this incident were captured on camera. MPD is leveraging technology to vigorously go after those perpetrating violence in Minneapolis. We will continue to be aggressive in our response and are increasing police presence in the area.
"Violence in any form will not be tolerated in our city. We are working hard to make sure that Downtown and all of Minneapolis is safe and vibrant.
"The MPD is attacking gun violence organizationally by coordinating weapons, gang interdiction, community response teams and group violence intervention investigations and initiatives. Year to date, weapon recoveries are up over 50 percent citywide compared to last year, with officers taking 654 guns off the street since January 1st."
Response from Downtown Council
Minneapolis Downtown Council president Steve Cramer said the downtown population density increases the chances of an innocent bystander getting shot, and called for swift action from the city, Minneapolis police and the court system.
"The use of guns during the course of personal disputes is troubling whenever and wherever it occurs. But it is especially unacceptable downtown, where the density of people present increases the chance of an innocent bystander simply being in the wrong place at the wrong time," Cramer said. "That's exactly what happened Tuesday evening on 6th Street. We have seen these occurrences all too often. For the sake of the thousands of people who work, live and visit downtown daily it is imperative that this word go out and be backed by the full force of the criminal justice system, from police officers on the street to judges in the courtroom. Our community will not tolerate downtown becoming a free fire zone, period. Any individual who behaves otherwise should count on being quickly apprehended, and feeling the full force of prosecution and sentencing come down on them. The behavior on display last night must come to an end, and our city and law enforcement officials must hasten that end through their concerted actions from this point forward."