Relaunch of popular weather site highlights weather's impact on specific health concerns, such as cold and flu, migraines, and allergies
STATE COLLEGE, PA - December 10, 2012 - Tailored information that helps users save time and make informed decisions about their schedule due to weather's impact on personal health concerns is now integrated in every local forecast on AccuWeather.com. This information is categorized into 26 lifestyle lenses, such as cold and flu, migraine, and allergies, with relevant news and information, such as dust and dander levels, and weather risks for colds and migraines.
"When users view their forecast through their chosen lifestyle lenses, they are better able to plan their lives," said Pascal Racheneur, AccuWeather Vice President of Interactive Media. "For example, if you are looking at your weather forecast through your allergies lens, you will not only see the weather forecast for your location, but you will also see that the forecast is tailored for a person with allergy concerns. You will see the forecasts for dust and dander, and other allergy- related information, and you will know if you should make any adjustments or take precautions."
The "lifestyle lens" is AccuWeather's user metaphor to describe a powerful, new personalization tool. Users can customize their forecast pages by parking lifestyle "lenses" -- categories -- reflecting personal interests in their dock, ready for display at the click of a mouse. The detailed, local forecast that is displayed then shows not only comprehensive general weather information, but also special weather forecasts from the perspective of the chosen interest that explain how the weather will impact that activity.
In addition to the tailored, more relevant weather information and time savings, the lifestyle lenses are accessible through new navigation that minimizes the number of clicks necessary to access the weather forecast for a user's location. For example, by clicking once on the migraine lens in the navigation bar, users see the migraine forecast and the weather forecast, including hourly, for their location.
Adding a Lifestyle Lens:
• Click on the question mark found in the central navigation bar on www.AccuWeather.com.
• A drop down menu will appear displaying all 26 available lifestyle lenses.
• The health lenses are listed on the top left. Choose a lifestyle lens and click it.
• The lens will be added to the navigation bar.
• A user may choose to add any or all of the 26 to their navigation bar.
The other lifestyle lenses include sports and recreation activities, home and garden, travel, and school day preparations.
AccuWeather.com also offers dozens of additional, popular capabilities, including:
• Accurate and local forecasts for 2.7 million locations worldwide. Updated every hour, forecasts have detailed hourly forecasts for the next 24 hours, plus day and night forecasts and information for the next 25 days.
• Watches and warnings for worldwide locations, when AccuWeather forecasts severe weather conditions.
• Current weather conditions constantly updated with the very latest temperatures, sky conditions, probability of precipitation, humidity percentages, visibility, UV index, wind speed gusts and direction, times for sunrise and sunset, and RealFeel® -- AccuWeather's exclusive weather forecasting system that analyzes multiple conditions to determine how the local temperature actually feels, which may be warmer or colder than the temperature, depending on these conditions.
• Radar for all of North America and Europe, and worldwide satellite overlaying interactive Google Maps™.
• Current broadcast-quality weather news and videos (many available in both English and Spanish), interactive radar and maps, and winter and severe weather centers, such as the Hurricane Center and the Global Climate Change Center. The Global Climate Change Center recently featured internationally-known, global warming expert, Dr. Michael E. Mann.
• Forecasts are available in 47 different languages with a choice between metric or imperial units.
About AccuWeather, Inc., and AccuWeather.com
Every day over 600 million people worldwide rely on AccuWeather to help them plan their lives, protect their businesses, and get more from their day. AccuWeather provides the most accurate and detailed hourly forecasts for every location where people live and work worldwide (more than 2.7 million locations), with customized content and engaging video presentations available on smart phones, tablets, wired and mobile internet sites, and smart TVs and appliances, as well as on radio and television and in newspapers. Founded in 1962 by Dr. Joel N. Myers - recognized as one of the top 528 entrepreneurs in American history by Entrepreneur Magazine's Encyclopedia of Entrepreneurs - AccuWeather also delivers a wide range of highly-customized enterprise solutions to media, business, government, and institutions, as well as news and weather content and video for more than 72,000 third-party websites, including The Wall Street Journal, CBS News Mobile, and The New York Times.
With the launch of the new AccuWeather 30-Day Forecast, the leading weather provider has become the only source for free, detailed, 30-Day forecasting information. The addition of this unique forecast allows users of AccuWeather.com and the AccuWeather.com mobile website greater insight in planning trips, sporting events, and outdoor events ahead of time with the Superior Accuracy™ of weather information that is the hallmark of AccuWeather.
Beginning this summer, subscribers to all 78 GateHouse Media daily newspapers across the U.S. will find AccuWeather forecasts in their daily read. Thanks to a joint undertaking with AccuWeather, Inc., GateHouse Media newspapers across the country, along with the vast majority of their digital publications, will provide precise AccuWeather forecasts to over 655,000 subscribers.
AccuWeather, Inc. announced today the integration of INRIX real-time traffic and incident information, travel times and traffic camera images into their StoryTeller Traffic app. StoryTeller is a high-resolution touchscreen platform that offers an array of customizable applications that allow news centers and broadcasters to rapidly bring interactive stories to life for their audiences.
AccuWeather, Inc. announced today the recent adoption of its StoryTeller interactive touchscreen system at television station WBZ in Boston. This upcoming installation represents a major milestone for the StoryTeller system, placing it now in every top-ten broadcast market
AccuWeather, Inc. announced today the addition of seven new software apps for its StoryTeller interactive touchscreen system. Supplementing an already-extensive toolkit of apps, the new introductions add expanded capability to cover breaking news, sports, finance and business, entertainment, elections, and weather, as well as innovative tools for in-depth, feature-story segments.
AccuWeather, Inc. today announced the promotion of Loren Tobia, a former chairman of Radio Television Digital News Association (RTDNA), to the role of Executive Director of Sales for the Display Systems and Services division. This new role will allow Loren to expand AccuWeather’s position of leadership in multi-screen content for television and digital platforms.
An expanded executive team was announced today by AccuWeather, Inc., the world’s leading weather information source, reconfirming the company’s focus on digital media. Jim Candor has been promoted to Chief Strategy Officer, Steven Smith has been promoted to Chief Digital Officer, and John Dokes, formerly of Marvel Entertainment, has been appointed Chief Marketing Officer.
AccuWeather’s reliable and local forecasts for 2.7 million locations worldwide are available to BlackBerry® 10 customers.
The new AccuWeather for Android app takes advantage of many of the new conventions offered by the Android operating system with user-friendly features such as multiple, multi-location and resizable widgets, optional weather graphs with different layers of detail, and even more customization.
The network combines diverse industry-leading signage networks featuring AccuWeather’s compelling content with AccuWeather’s own mobile and web properties to create an advertising platform with enormous reach. The network includes AccuWeather’s proprietary Weather-Triggered Marketing® and other powerful targeting capabilities.