Multi-location, resizable widgets, optional weather graphs with different layers of detail, and more customizing now available
STATE COLLEGE, PA - February 28, 2013 - The new AccuWeather for Android app takes advantage of many of the new conventions offered by the Android operating system with user-friendly features such as multiple, multi-location and resizable widgets, optional weather graphs with different layers of detail, and even more customization. The app also offers the same experience across all Android smartphones and tablets.
"The new AccuWeather app is truly responsive to the needs of our Android users," said Pascal Racheneur, AccuWeather Vice President of Interactive Media. "It was designed for the user who wants immediately descriptive weather images with minimal text, while the user who wants more information may choose to dive into the bright weather graphs for more weather detail."
AccuWeather worked closely with Google to follow their design guidelines and to capture everything their new operating system has to offer consumers.
More new features include:
- Local forecasts for 2.7 million locations worldwide with forecasts that now update every 15 minutes. Information includes forecasts for the next 15 days - all available in 27 languages.
- Current weather conditions also now updating every 15 minutes with the very latest humidity and precipitation percentages, dew point, visibility, UV index, wind speed gusts and direction, times for sunrise and sunset, and RealFeel® - AccuWeather's exclusive weather forecasting system that analyzes multiple weather factors to determine how the local temperature actually feels.
- Home screen widget displaying two-day forecasts with severe weather warnings for your GPS location, and a time clock. Resizable home screen widgets that can show multiple locations of your choosing are also now available with even more weather detail.
- Customizable My AccuWeather lifestyle forecasts for specific health concerns and outdoor activities. Categories include: Outdoor Fitness, Travel, Respiratory Health, Fishing and Game, and Do-It-Yourself.
- Push notifications for severe weather alerts in the United States, now available for Android tablets in addition to smartphones. For worldwide locations, when AccuWeather forecasts snow, ice, rain, or the probability of thunderstorms, you will see an orange exclamation point displayed within the location's current and 15-day screens.
- European radar now available, in addition to the radar for North America. Worldwide satellite overlaying interactive Google Maps™ is also an option, along with a snapshot view of the maps for your saved locations.
- New, local weather forecast summaries providing an overview of the next five days' weather forecast along with a description of the most dramatic weather event expected during the five days.
- The option to select either portrait and landscape views.
AccuWeather is available for free from Google Play, https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.accuweather.android&referrer=utm_source%3Dv3%26utm_medium%3DPR.
An ad free version of AccuWeather with 25-day forecasts, named AccuWeather Platinum, is also available from Google Play. AccuWeather Platinum can be downloaded for a one-time fee of $0.99 for a limited time only. The regular price is $2.99, but the new app is on sale in celebration of its availability.
About AccuWeather, Inc., and AccuWeather.com
Every day 750 million people worldwide rely on AccuWeather to help them plan their lives, protect their businesses, and get more from their day. AccuWeather provides hourly forecasts for more than 2.7 million locations worldwide, with customized content and engaging video presentations available on smartphones, tablets, wired and mobile internet sites, connected TVs and Internet appliances, as well as via radio, television, and newspapers. Founded in 1962 by Dr. Joel N. Myers - a Fellow of the American Meteorological Society who was recognized as one of the top entrepreneurs in American history by Entrepreneur Magazine's Encyclopedia of Entrepreneurs - AccuWeather also delivers a wide range of highly-customized enterprise solutions to media, business, government, and institutions, as well as news and weather content and video for more than 72,000 third-party websites.
AccuWeather acquired Bluefin Enginnering apps and website to provide superior marine weather forecasts for users who love boating activities.
AccuWeather, a leading global digital media company, today announced that it has acquired Sky Motion Research, Inc., of Montreal, Canada, an innovative developer of ultra-short-term and highly localized weather forecasts. With this acquisition, AccuWeather will now offer highly accurate, minute by minute weather predictions, including precipitation start and end times, at a hyper-local level. The new MinuteCast, Minute-by-Minute Forecast solution will be made available on all of AccuWeather’s mobile applications including iOS, Android, and Windows, as well as its website properties including accuweather.com and m.accuweather.com.
AccuWeather Awarded Three W3 Awards in Honor of its Creative Excellence in Mobile
AccuWeather Enterprise Solutions provides proactive notification of impending weather threats to largest railroads in U.S., Canada and Mexico.
AccuWeather Enterprise Solutions Teams up with Esri to Provide Severe Weather Warnings for the Little League World Series
As the fall season quickly approaches, many Americans are finalizing their end-of-summer plans, whether plotting the perfect Labor Day road trip or finalizing details for an outdoor wedding or event. To help better prepare for these and other daydream-inducing activities, AccuWeather now offers a 45-Day Forecast that provides consumers with more advance notice of upcoming weather conditions than ever before.
AccuWeather, Inc. added a powerful tool to their StoryTeller Interactive Touchscreen System that allows broadcasters to share viewer-generated opinions and comments on air.
AccuWeather is leading the way in location-based services (LBS) for the Chinese market by becoming the first licensee of a patent granted on May 1, 2013 by the People’s Republic of China.
With the launch of the new AccuWeather 30-Day Forecast, the leading weather provider has become the only source for free, detailed, 30-Day forecasting information. The addition of this unique forecast allows users of AccuWeather.com and the AccuWeather.com mobile website greater insight in planning trips, sporting events, and outdoor events ahead of time with the Superior Accuracy™ of weather information that is the hallmark of AccuWeather.
Beginning this summer, subscribers to all 78 GateHouse Media daily newspapers across the U.S. will find AccuWeather forecasts in their daily read. Thanks to a joint undertaking with AccuWeather, Inc., GateHouse Media newspapers across the country, along with the vast majority of their digital publications, will provide precise AccuWeather forecasts to over 655,000 subscribers.