Relaunch of popular weather site highlights weather's impact on specific health concerns, such as cold and flu, migraines, and allergies
STATE COLLEGE, PA - December 10, 2012 - Tailored information that helps users save time and make informed decisions about their schedule due to weather's impact on personal health concerns is now integrated in every local forecast on AccuWeather.com. This information is categorized into 26 lifestyle lenses, such as cold and flu, migraine, and allergies, with relevant news and information, such as dust and dander levels, and weather risks for colds and migraines.
"When users view their forecast through their chosen lifestyle lenses, they are better able to plan their lives," said Pascal Racheneur, AccuWeather Vice President of Interactive Media. "For example, if you are looking at your weather forecast through your allergies lens, you will not only see the weather forecast for your location, but you will also see that the forecast is tailored for a person with allergy concerns. You will see the forecasts for dust and dander, and other allergy- related information, and you will know if you should make any adjustments or take precautions."
The "lifestyle lens" is AccuWeather's user metaphor to describe a powerful, new personalization tool. Users can customize their forecast pages by parking lifestyle "lenses" -- categories -- reflecting personal interests in their dock, ready for display at the click of a mouse. The detailed, local forecast that is displayed then shows not only comprehensive general weather information, but also special weather forecasts from the perspective of the chosen interest that explain how the weather will impact that activity.
In addition to the tailored, more relevant weather information and time savings, the lifestyle lenses are accessible through new navigation that minimizes the number of clicks necessary to access the weather forecast for a user's location. For example, by clicking once on the migraine lens in the navigation bar, users see the migraine forecast and the weather forecast, including hourly, for their location.
Adding a Lifestyle Lens:
• Click on the question mark found in the central navigation bar on www.AccuWeather.com.
• A drop down menu will appear displaying all 26 available lifestyle lenses.
• The health lenses are listed on the top left. Choose a lifestyle lens and click it.
• The lens will be added to the navigation bar.
• A user may choose to add any or all of the 26 to their navigation bar.
The other lifestyle lenses include sports and recreation activities, home and garden, travel, and school day preparations.
AccuWeather.com also offers dozens of additional, popular capabilities, including:
• Accurate and local forecasts for 2.7 million locations worldwide. Updated every hour, forecasts have detailed hourly forecasts for the next 24 hours, plus day and night forecasts and information for the next 25 days.
• Watches and warnings for worldwide locations, when AccuWeather forecasts severe weather conditions.
• Current weather conditions constantly updated with the very latest temperatures, sky conditions, probability of precipitation, humidity percentages, visibility, UV index, wind speed gusts and direction, times for sunrise and sunset, and RealFeel® -- AccuWeather's exclusive weather forecasting system that analyzes multiple conditions to determine how the local temperature actually feels, which may be warmer or colder than the temperature, depending on these conditions.
• Radar for all of North America and Europe, and worldwide satellite overlaying interactive Google Maps™.
• Current broadcast-quality weather news and videos (many available in both English and Spanish), interactive radar and maps, and winter and severe weather centers, such as the Hurricane Center and the Global Climate Change Center. The Global Climate Change Center recently featured internationally-known, global warming expert, Dr. Michael E. Mann.
• Forecasts are available in 47 different languages with a choice between metric or imperial units.
About AccuWeather, Inc., and AccuWeather.com
Every day over 600 million people worldwide rely on AccuWeather to help them plan their lives, protect their businesses, and get more from their day. AccuWeather provides the most accurate and detailed hourly forecasts for every location where people live and work worldwide (more than 2.7 million locations), with customized content and engaging video presentations available on smart phones, tablets, wired and mobile internet sites, and smart TVs and appliances, as well as on radio and television and in newspapers. Founded in 1962 by Dr. Joel N. Myers - recognized as one of the top 528 entrepreneurs in American history by Entrepreneur Magazine's Encyclopedia of Entrepreneurs - AccuWeather also delivers a wide range of highly-customized enterprise solutions to media, business, government, and institutions, as well as news and weather content and video for more than 72,000 third-party websites, including The Wall Street Journal, CBS News Mobile, and The New York Times.
AccuWeather's new MinuteCast(TM) forecast predicts precipitation start and end times on a minute-by-minute basis, right down to your street address.
AccuWeather is working with Samsung to provide a pre-loaded weather app on the newly announced Samsung Galaxy S5. This is the latest step in a strong relationship between the two companies.
Timed to coincide with the recent expansion of BBM™ -- now available on iPhone and Android as well as BlackBerry® smartphones – AccuWeather has launched its own premiere BBM Channel. The new AccuWeather BBM Channel will offer a range of breaking weather information, including severe weather updates, breaking stories, local weather images, radar and more for BBM subscribers across mobile platforms.
AccuWeather today announced it has joined the Tizen Association Partner Program to help further the development and deployment of the Tizen Operating System (OS) platform. The Tizen Association is an industry consortium that supports the development of an open-source software platform and operating system – Tizen – for a wide range of connected devices. As a Tizen Association Partner, AccuWeather will have the opportunity to join relevant Tizen Association Working Groups and to participate in Tizen Association meetings, giving the company more insight and potential input into the development of the Tizen OS.
The day of the Big Game finally arrived and football fans everywhere -- whether watching the game from their living rooms or the 50 yard line – were ready for weather conditions and their possible impacts, thanks to AccuWeather forecasts. For a full 45 days before game day, AccuWeather was accurately predicting no snow.
With next week's start of the 94th annual meeting of the American Meteorological Society, AccuWeather reaffirms its full support, commitment, and appreciation for the foundational weather sets, models, and core infrastructure the government, academic research professionals, and meteorologists in all parts of the weather enterprise contribute to the safety of the national and global populations. As the world’s largest and fastest-growing multi-media weather company and a leading member of the meteorological community, AccuWeather believes this expression of support is especially important at this time.
With less than a week to go before SundayÃ‚Â’s Big Game, the question on everyoneÃ‚Â’s minds has been whether or not it will snow. AccuWeather has been tracking conditions since December 18 on www.WillitSnow.com and the latest forecast indicates players may expect a typical winter day and average chilly temperatures when they take to the field at MetLife Stadium on Sunday.
Since the announcement of the launch of the 24/7 AccuWeather Channel in the third quarter of 2014, the company has seen a groundswell of positive support. In AccuWeather continued commitment to put its audience first, the company responds to audience needs by keeping the focus on forecasts, not fluff -- All Weather, All the Time.
AccuWeather is pleased to announce it will launch a 24X7 weather channel, to be known as the AccuWeather Channel, in the third quarter of 2014.
During the 2014 Consumer Electronics Show, AccuWeather announces its partnership with BT Software and the Kaliki Audio Newsstand to allow drivers to get access to current weather conditions and forecasts on-demand in GM vehicles in 2014.