Innovative SkyGuard Online Deploys Real-Time, Life-Saving Warnings to Desktops, Laptops and Tablets
STATE COLLEGE, PA, July 11, 2011 - AccuWeather, Inc. (www.accuweather.com) today introduces the latest upgrade to SkyGuard® Online, the interactive mapping system that uses the Esri ArcGIS 10 Enabled technology to help businesses track how weather will impact their operations.
Through SkyGuard Online, enterprises receive customized, site-specific severe weather warnings that have been demonstrated to save lives. Weather conditions monitored include lightning, flooding, tornados, hail, hurricanes, ice, snow and more. The easy-to-access web interface of SkyGuard Online integrates each customer's assets - such as retail outlets, medical facilities, manufacturing sites, data centers, and transportation routes - with all types of real-time weather information. The site is accessed via desktops, laptops and selected tablets.
New features of SkyGuard Online include:
• Animated Level 2 US radar. The Level 2 NexRAD radar data - the highest resolution radar available in the U.S. and already available in SkyGuard Online - can now be animated, providing an auto-updating, one-hour animation in 5-minute intervals that aids in visualizing the direction and speed of the precipitation.
• Street-level zooming. The high-resolution NexRAD radar (up to 0.5 km resolution in metro areas) can now be combined with street-level mapping, allowing users to pinpoint the intensity level of the precipitation in their area.
• Message Center. This new tool delivers instant, at-a-glance visual notification of SkyGuard Warnings issued for the user's organization, including severity, start time, and location. Prepared by a SkyGuard meteorologist, the warnings are clickable to the specific location, and include complete details of the severe weather that threatens the asset.
• Consultation contact. For each warning, SkyGuard Online displays details for contacting the SkyGuard meteorologist for consultation.
• Hurricane discussions. For SkyGuard Online hurricane subscribers, there is now even more detailed information, including forecast, rainfall and wind discussions written by AccuWeather's own team of expert hurricane forecasters.
• Enhanced lightning displays. Added tools include advanced filtering of lightning-strike information for ease in viewing, and new graphical representations of the closeness of lightning to the user's assets.
• Asset-centered zooms. Upon login, users are immediately taken to a zoomed-in view of their key assets for rapid inspection of those critical areas during a weather emergency.
"SkyGuard Online gives enterprises the accurate, local, customized, proactive, and personalized weather information they need to prepare for mission-critical weather impact," said Bradley J. Mitchell, Chief Commercial Officer, AccuWeather Enterprise Solutions. "It delivers the real-time view of the weather that organizations require to protect their people, property, and profits."
In addition to the complete SkyGuard Online turnkey solution, AccuWeather also provides the accurate, comprehensive, and customized weather data and warnings as GIS data so that customers may integrate it into their own systems.
About AccuWeather, Inc.
AccuWeather delivers mission-critical, weather-driven, enterprise solutions that assist business, government, media, and institutions worldwide in protecting their people, property and profits from the effects of weather. AccuWeather's enterprise products include the most accurate, site-specific, customized severe weather warnings, short- and long-range forecasts, and applied weather information. In addition, the 116 AccuWeather meteorologists present forecasts and severe weather bulletins each day to one quarter of a billion persons worldwide via the free AccuWeather.com website, mobile devices and IPTV, through the airwaves, and in print. More than 50,000 third-party Internet sites display AccuWeather content, including the wallstreetjournal.com, CBS News Mobile, and WABC-TV New York. Visit www.accuweather.com for more information.
With the launch of the new AccuWeather 30-Day Forecast, the leading weather provider has become the only source for free, detailed, 30-Day forecasting information. The addition of this unique forecast allows users of AccuWeather.com and the AccuWeather.com mobile website greater insight in planning trips, sporting events, and outdoor events ahead of time with the Superior Accuracy™ of weather information that is the hallmark of AccuWeather.
Beginning this summer, subscribers to all 78 GateHouse Media daily newspapers across the U.S. will find AccuWeather forecasts in their daily read. Thanks to a joint undertaking with AccuWeather, Inc., GateHouse Media newspapers across the country, along with the vast majority of their digital publications, will provide precise AccuWeather forecasts to over 655,000 subscribers.
AccuWeather, Inc. announced today the integration of INRIX real-time traffic and incident information, travel times and traffic camera images into their StoryTeller Traffic app. StoryTeller is a high-resolution touchscreen platform that offers an array of customizable applications that allow news centers and broadcasters to rapidly bring interactive stories to life for their audiences.
AccuWeather, Inc. announced today the recent adoption of its StoryTeller interactive touchscreen system at television station WBZ in Boston. This upcoming installation represents a major milestone for the StoryTeller system, placing it now in every top-ten broadcast market
AccuWeather, Inc. announced today the addition of seven new software apps for its StoryTeller interactive touchscreen system. Supplementing an already-extensive toolkit of apps, the new introductions add expanded capability to cover breaking news, sports, finance and business, entertainment, elections, and weather, as well as innovative tools for in-depth, feature-story segments.
AccuWeather, Inc. today announced the promotion of Loren Tobia, a former chairman of Radio Television Digital News Association (RTDNA), to the role of Executive Director of Sales for the Display Systems and Services division. This new role will allow Loren to expand AccuWeather’s position of leadership in multi-screen content for television and digital platforms.
An expanded executive team was announced today by AccuWeather, Inc., the world’s leading weather information source, reconfirming the company’s focus on digital media. Jim Candor has been promoted to Chief Strategy Officer, Steven Smith has been promoted to Chief Digital Officer, and John Dokes, formerly of Marvel Entertainment, has been appointed Chief Marketing Officer.
AccuWeather’s reliable and local forecasts for 2.7 million locations worldwide are available to BlackBerry® 10 customers.
The new AccuWeather for Android app takes advantage of many of the new conventions offered by the Android operating system with user-friendly features such as multiple, multi-location and resizable widgets, optional weather graphs with different layers of detail, and even more customization.
The network combines diverse industry-leading signage networks featuring AccuWeather’s compelling content with AccuWeather’s own mobile and web properties to create an advertising platform with enormous reach. The network includes AccuWeather’s proprietary Weather-Triggered Marketing® and other powerful targeting capabilities.