Multi-location, resizable widgets, optional weather graphs with different layers of detail, and more customizing now available
STATE COLLEGE, PA - February 28, 2013 - The new AccuWeather for Android app takes advantage of many of the new conventions offered by the Android operating system with user-friendly features such as multiple, multi-location and resizable widgets, optional weather graphs with different layers of detail, and even more customization. The app also offers the same experience across all Android smartphones and tablets.
"The new AccuWeather app is truly responsive to the needs of our Android users," said Pascal Racheneur, AccuWeather Vice President of Interactive Media. "It was designed for the user who wants immediately descriptive weather images with minimal text, while the user who wants more information may choose to dive into the bright weather graphs for more weather detail."
AccuWeather worked closely with Google to follow their design guidelines and to capture everything their new operating system has to offer consumers.
More new features include:
- Local forecasts for 2.7 million locations worldwide with forecasts that now update every 15 minutes. Information includes forecasts for the next 15 days - all available in 27 languages.
- Current weather conditions also now updating every 15 minutes with the very latest humidity and precipitation percentages, dew point, visibility, UV index, wind speed gusts and direction, times for sunrise and sunset, and RealFeel® - AccuWeather's exclusive weather forecasting system that analyzes multiple weather factors to determine how the local temperature actually feels.
- Home screen widget displaying two-day forecasts with severe weather warnings for your GPS location, and a time clock. Resizable home screen widgets that can show multiple locations of your choosing are also now available with even more weather detail.
- Customizable My AccuWeather lifestyle forecasts for specific health concerns and outdoor activities. Categories include: Outdoor Fitness, Travel, Respiratory Health, Fishing and Game, and Do-It-Yourself.
- Push notifications for severe weather alerts in the United States, now available for Android tablets in addition to smartphones. For worldwide locations, when AccuWeather forecasts snow, ice, rain, or the probability of thunderstorms, you will see an orange exclamation point displayed within the location's current and 15-day screens.
- European radar now available, in addition to the radar for North America. Worldwide satellite overlaying interactive Google Maps™ is also an option, along with a snapshot view of the maps for your saved locations.
- New, local weather forecast summaries providing an overview of the next five days' weather forecast along with a description of the most dramatic weather event expected during the five days.
- The option to select either portrait and landscape views.
AccuWeather is available for free from Google Play, https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.accuweather.android&referrer=utm_source%3Dv3%26utm_medium%3DPR.
An ad free version of AccuWeather with 25-day forecasts, named AccuWeather Platinum, is also available from Google Play. AccuWeather Platinum can be downloaded for a one-time fee of $0.99 for a limited time only. The regular price is $2.99, but the new app is on sale in celebration of its availability.
About AccuWeather, Inc., and AccuWeather.com
Every day 750 million people worldwide rely on AccuWeather to help them plan their lives, protect their businesses, and get more from their day. AccuWeather provides hourly forecasts for more than 2.7 million locations worldwide, with customized content and engaging video presentations available on smartphones, tablets, wired and mobile internet sites, connected TVs and Internet appliances, as well as via radio, television, and newspapers. Founded in 1962 by Dr. Joel N. Myers - a Fellow of the American Meteorological Society who was recognized as one of the top entrepreneurs in American history by Entrepreneur Magazine's Encyclopedia of Entrepreneurs - AccuWeather also delivers a wide range of highly-customized enterprise solutions to media, business, government, and institutions, as well as news and weather content and video for more than 72,000 third-party websites.
AccuWeather, the global leader in weather information and digital media, today announced the University of Oklahoma Office of Technology Development has signed a patent licensing agreement for the use of AccuWeather's proprietary patents to benefit University advancements in technology innovation, including OU’s mPING app.
AccuWeather, the global leader in weather information and digital media, today announced its patented MinuteCast minute-by-minute precipitation forecasts are now available to drivers via AppLink using Ford's new SYNC 3 in-car communications and entertainment system, initially available in Ford's Mondeo, S-MAX, and Galaxy models.
AccuWeather, the global leader in weather information and digital media, has announced the appointment of Steven Hickson as Chief Financial Officer. Hickson is a proven finance leader with media and management experience in guiding organizational growth on a global scale, providing financial leadership for organizations around the world including significant expansions in Latin America, Asia, Europe, and more.
Dr. Joel N. Myers, Founder, President, and Chairman of AccuWeather, the global leader in weather information and digital media, has been recognized by The Pennsylvania State University with the Distinguished Alumni Award, the highest recognition the University bestows on an individual. The Penn State Board of Trustees selected eight alumni in 2016 for this honor.
AccuWeather is recognized for its weather accuracy leadership in a new global report from ForecastWatch, a leading third-party weather forecast monitoring and assessment company. The study’s twelve-month evaluation names AccuWeather the most accurate source of overall temperature forecasts measured through mean absolute error and forecasts within three degrees. AccuWeather is also first in high temperature forecast accuracy measured through mean absolute error and forecasts within three degrees, in addition to the #1 ranking in low temperature forecast accuracy measured in mean absolute error (tied) and forecasts within three degrees.
AccuWeather, the global leader in weather information and digital media, today announced the launch of the all-new AccuWeather app for Apple TV. The innovative category-leading app revolutionizes the weather viewing experience for Apple TV users and further expands AccuWeather's global reach across platforms -- users can rely on AccuWeather's Superior Accuracy across devices and locations to improve their lives.
AccuWeather, the global leader in weather information and digital media, today announced it has appointed Bill Boss as Director of Product Development, Display Systems and Services. Reporting directly to Ryan Ayres, Vice President of Display Systems and Services, Bill brings 30 years of experience in the meteorological industry working in sales, marketing, product management, and executive roles in the U.S. and Asia-Pacific region. He has comprehensive product experience spanning multiple industry verticals including broadcast media, insurance, and aviation.
AccuWeather, the global leader in weather information and digital media, announces the launch of StormDirector+, the all-new weather system that provides the most interactive, customizable, and complete local weather presentations with Superior Accuracy to television stations. AccuWeather demonstrates StormDirector+ live at the National Association of Broadcasters (NAB) Show through April 21, 2016 at the Las Vegas Convention Center in Las Vegas, NV – AccuWeather booth #SL6010.
AccuWeather, the global leader in weather information and digital media, announces all-new CampaignTrail, the break-through election application now available f StoryTeller Interactive Touchscreen Solution, the only complete, interactive touchscreen solution for the entire news presentation. AccuWeather is demonstrating CampaignTrail live at the National Association of Broadcasters (NAB) Show April 18-21, 2016 at the Las Vegas Convention Center in Las Vegas, NV – AccuWeather booth #SL6010.
AccuWeather, the global leader in weather information and digital media, today announced industry-leading innovations in StoryTeller® Interactive Touchscreen Solution, the only complete, interactive touchscreen solution for all aspects of the on-air presentation. AccuWeather will demonstrate these revolutionary advancements live at the National Association of Broadcasters (NAB) Show today through April 21, 2016 at the Las Vegas Convention Center in Las Vegas, NV – AccuWeather booth #SL6010.