Industry's only complete interactive touchscreen solution launches new content innovation across social media, traffic, crime, weather, and more, responding to major market demand.
AccuWeather Global Weather Center - March 31, 2014 - Newsrooms worldwide can now access a significantly wider breadth of new interactive apps and features than ever before with StoryTeller(r) Interactive Touchscreen Solution created by AccuWeather, meeting the needs of every breaking story. From local crime sprees and traffic accidents to flight delays and Minute by Minute™ weather updates, StoryTeller has enhanced real-time newsroom coverage to further differentiate broadcast stations in their markets. Best of all, downloading and using new applications for StoryTeller is now as fast and easy as adding new apps to a smartphone.
"StoryTeller is known as the leading interactive touchscreen solution for your entire newsroom, reaching over 80 million viewers. Now, we're meeting a new range of needs with more apps and features that can be downloaded and operationalized while the news is still hot," said Ryan Ayres, Vice President of Display Systems and Services for AccuWeather. "The major expansion in StoryTeller's content offering, combined with the real-time immediacy of downloadable apps and new live switching between apps, will have stations using StoryTeller in new interactive ways that they have never before imagined to gain market share."
StoryTeller's new apps and features will be showcased at the 2014 NAB Show, including:
- AlertID Crime App: All-new StoryTeller app that provides over 170 types of crime-related data, maps, and graphics to report hyper-local stories about missing persons, murders, sex crimes, robberies, and more. The Crime App is powered by AlertID, providing accurate, detailed crime updates and alerts at local, state, and federal levels.
- Social Media TV App: New social media enhancements include the addition of hashtag searches, social video integration, and the addition of two major social platforms to effectively share social media sentiments and engagement on trending news headlines. Special preview features enable posts to be quickly and easily pre-screened and selected for on-air use.
- INRIX Traffic App: Expanded traffic app includes new street-level segment information, customizable street labeling and overlays on cameras, plus a skyline forecast to deliver real-time road travel conditions, accidents, road closures, and local event traffic impacting viewers. Powered by INRIX, the leading provider of traffic services and updates.
- Weather App: Now featuring AccuWeather's MinuteCast™, a Minute by Minute™ hyper-local weather update that predicts start and end times for precipitation by-the-minute for the next two hours for any street address. Additional app enhancements include the 3-day forecast, multi-city map views, and temperature maps to provide informative, engaging weather updates with zoom, scale, swipe, and draw interactive capabilities.
- Airport Delays App: All-new StoryTeller app utilizes the latest flight status information from across the country to keep viewers updated on airport travel conditions. Broadcasters can map multiple airports and showcase up-to-date flight statuses for each location, as well as generate weather radar overlays impacting flight arrivals and departures.
- Dynamic App Switching: New exclusive StoryTeller feature allows broadcasters to instantly and seamlessly switch between StoryTeller apps to bring every story to life with uninterrupted, flawless on-air reporting.
AccuWeather is a global leader in digital media, developing award-winning apps and partnering with all major manufacturers of mobile devices, serving over 5.6 billion data requests every day. There are 1.3 billion AccuWeather branded apps installed on mobile and connected devices worldwide. AccuWeather has applied this digital expertise to develop StoryTeller Interactive Touchscreen Solution, one of the only tools of its kind that utilizes the highly successful and innovative "Smart Device App Model" to bring every story to life in compelling, interactive, and engaging ways.
Please join us at NAB 2014 for live demos of our StoryTeller interactive applications. As space will be limited, please plan on arriving 15 minutes early. You can also contact us to reserve your space or schedule a private demonstration.
AccuWeather, Inc. and AccuWeather.com
Every day over a billion people worldwide rely on AccuWeather to help them plan their lives, protect their businesses, and get more from their day. AccuWeather provides hourly and Minute by Minute™ forecasts with Superior Accuracy™ for nearly 3 million locations worldwide, with customized content and engaging video presentations available on smart phones, tablets, free wired and mobile internet sites, connected TVs, and Internet appliances, as well as via radio, television, and newspapers. Founded in 1962 by Dr. Joel N. Myers - a Fellow of the American Meteorological Society who was recognized as one of the top entrepreneurs in American history by Entrepreneur Magazine's Encyclopedia of Entrepreneurs - AccuWeather also delivers a wide range of highly-customized enterprise solutions to media, business, government, and institutions, as well as news, weather content, and video for more than 72,000 third-party websites. In 2014, the company will launch the AccuWeather Channel, an "All Weather, All the Time™" multi-platform national channel for forecasts with Superior Accuracy.
Visit StoryTeller.AccuWeather.com for additional information.
Dr. Joel N. Myers, Founder, President and Chairman of AccuWeather, has been selected by the Homecoming Executive Committee to represent Penn State University as Grand Marshal for Homecoming 2016. Each year, the Committee chooses an outstanding alumna or alumnus who has excelled in their field of study and continues to positively represent the University.
AccuWeather, the global leader in weather information and digital media, today announced the launch of significant innovations to the AccuWeather app for iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch with the launch of Apple’s iPhone 7 and operating system update, including enhancements that make the AccuWeather app experience even easier and more personalized, providing life-saving weather information and updates with Superior Accuracy that users trust.
With the likelihood of humidity much of the week and potential for showers Saturday night into Sunday morning that could dampen New York City's Fashion Week, AccuWeather, the global leader in weather information and digital media, is there to make sure attendees are covered with minute-by-minute forecasts with Superior Accuracy(tm) for their exact location.
AccuWeather, the global leader in weather information and digital media, has responded to consumer demand for leading-edge weather video with the introduction of immersive 360-degree videos for breaking weather news. This interactive new content and many additional innovations have led to a 400% increase in average monthly video views across AccuWeather’s digital properties, including web, mobile web, mobile apps, and OTT platforms.
AccuWeather, the global leader in weather information and digital media, is proud to be an active part of the State College community and lead the way in volunteerism and altruistic giving. To recognize this important area of focus and the many contributions of its staff members, AccuWeather is pleased to announce AccuWeather Rays of Hope, a new initiative that will be used to encourage charitable giving and sponsorships.
AccuWeather, the global leader in weather information and digital media, today announced the University of Oklahoma Office of Technology Development has signed a patent licensing agreement for the use of AccuWeather's proprietary patents to benefit University advancements in technology innovation, including OU’s mPING app.
AccuWeather, the global leader in weather information and digital media, today announced its patented MinuteCast minute-by-minute precipitation forecasts are now available to drivers via AppLink using Ford's new SYNC 3 in-car communications and entertainment system, initially available in Ford's Mondeo, S-MAX, and Galaxy models.
AccuWeather, the global leader in weather information and digital media, has announced the appointment of Steven Hickson as Chief Financial Officer. Hickson is a proven finance leader with media and management experience in guiding organizational growth on a global scale, providing financial leadership for organizations around the world including significant expansions in Latin America, Asia, Europe, and more.
Dr. Joel N. Myers, Founder, President, and Chairman of AccuWeather, the global leader in weather information and digital media, has been recognized by The Pennsylvania State University with the Distinguished Alumni Award, the highest recognition the University bestows on an individual. The Penn State Board of Trustees selected eight alumni in 2016 for this honor.
AccuWeather is recognized for its weather accuracy leadership in a new global report from ForecastWatch, a leading third-party weather forecast monitoring and assessment company. The study’s twelve-month evaluation names AccuWeather the most accurate source of overall temperature forecasts measured through mean absolute error and forecasts within three degrees. AccuWeather is also first in high temperature forecast accuracy measured through mean absolute error and forecasts within three degrees, in addition to the #1 ranking in low temperature forecast accuracy measured in mean absolute error (tied) and forecasts within three degrees.