We are going in a very cold weather pattern for the Plains and West. Part of that cold air mass will come east which is the problem for areas from Texas to the Northeast from Thursday through next week. So let me try to give you key points in a very complicated pattern.
1. The Southeast will be very warm through Wednesday with the deviations from normal in the +10-20 degrees range.
2. On the flip side, the cold air moving into the northern Rockies and the northern Plains will be -10-20 degrees. Once that cold air mass becomes established, it may last 15-25 days in that area, and some folks may not see temperatures above 20 degrees for during that period.
3. The first snow event will have blizzard conditions due the snow, blowing snow and falling temperatures. The Dakotas and Minnesota will be the area to watch for those conditions Wednesday.
4. The cold air will press into the Northeast, Texas and Tennessee Valley and basically come to a stop. This will set up a corridor of snow and ice from Texas to the Northeast starting Thursday and lasting into next week. Some areas will see significant icing, especially Arkansas into Kentucky.
5. Here's the kicker, the NAO is going negative next week and that's when we need to start watching the East coast for storm development. The cold will certainly be available so areas that are left out of the snow and ice could get snow late next week into the Weekend.
Long-range snow and ice
Off the ADC site....
Severe storms will be scattered about the Northeast today. Hawaii will be impacted by a tropical storm.
We are seeing the SOI values crashing again as the El Nino continues to pulse. Weather should get active again next week.
The El Nino has crashed again which means extreme weather should return soon. Check out the video.
The winds will be damaging across the northern Plains today. Expect gusts over 60 mph!
The week will start stormy for the Northern Plains with severe weather followed by high winds.
Next week will start of with severe weather and will end with a tropical threat aong the East coasty.