Multi-location, resizable widgets, optional weather graphs with different layers of detail, and more customizing now available
STATE COLLEGE, PA - February 28, 2013 - The new AccuWeather for Android app takes advantage of many of the new conventions offered by the Android operating system with user-friendly features such as multiple, multi-location and resizable widgets, optional weather graphs with different layers of detail, and even more customization. The app also offers the same experience across all Android smartphones and tablets.
"The new AccuWeather app is truly responsive to the needs of our Android users," said Pascal Racheneur, AccuWeather Vice President of Interactive Media. "It was designed for the user who wants immediately descriptive weather images with minimal text, while the user who wants more information may choose to dive into the bright weather graphs for more weather detail."
AccuWeather worked closely with Google to follow their design guidelines and to capture everything their new operating system has to offer consumers.
More new features include:
- Local forecasts for 2.7 million locations worldwide with forecasts that now update every 15 minutes. Information includes forecasts for the next 15 days - all available in 27 languages.
- Current weather conditions also now updating every 15 minutes with the very latest humidity and precipitation percentages, dew point, visibility, UV index, wind speed gusts and direction, times for sunrise and sunset, and RealFeel® - AccuWeather's exclusive weather forecasting system that analyzes multiple weather factors to determine how the local temperature actually feels.
- Home screen widget displaying two-day forecasts with severe weather warnings for your GPS location, and a time clock. Resizable home screen widgets that can show multiple locations of your choosing are also now available with even more weather detail.
- Customizable My AccuWeather lifestyle forecasts for specific health concerns and outdoor activities. Categories include: Outdoor Fitness, Travel, Respiratory Health, Fishing and Game, and Do-It-Yourself.
- Push notifications for severe weather alerts in the United States, now available for Android tablets in addition to smartphones. For worldwide locations, when AccuWeather forecasts snow, ice, rain, or the probability of thunderstorms, you will see an orange exclamation point displayed within the location's current and 15-day screens.
- European radar now available, in addition to the radar for North America. Worldwide satellite overlaying interactive Google Maps™ is also an option, along with a snapshot view of the maps for your saved locations.
- New, local weather forecast summaries providing an overview of the next five days' weather forecast along with a description of the most dramatic weather event expected during the five days.
- The option to select either portrait and landscape views.
AccuWeather is available for free from Google Play, https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.accuweather.android&referrer=utm_source%3Dv3%26utm_medium%3DPR.
An ad free version of AccuWeather with 25-day forecasts, named AccuWeather Platinum, is also available from Google Play. AccuWeather Platinum can be downloaded for a one-time fee of $0.99 for a limited time only. The regular price is $2.99, but the new app is on sale in celebration of its availability.
About AccuWeather, Inc., and AccuWeather.com
Every day 750 million people worldwide rely on AccuWeather to help them plan their lives, protect their businesses, and get more from their day. AccuWeather provides hourly forecasts for more than 2.7 million locations worldwide, with customized content and engaging video presentations available on smartphones, tablets, wired and mobile internet sites, connected TVs and Internet appliances, as well as via radio, television, and newspapers. Founded in 1962 by Dr. Joel N. Myers - a Fellow of the American Meteorological Society who was recognized as one of the top entrepreneurs in American history by Entrepreneur Magazine's Encyclopedia of Entrepreneurs - AccuWeather also delivers a wide range of highly-customized enterprise solutions to media, business, government, and institutions, as well as news and weather content and video for more than 72,000 third-party websites.
AccuWeather, the global leader in weather information and digital media, and Huafeng Media Group, the commercial weather media company owned by the China Meteorological Administration, have formed a unique one-of-a-kind joint venture for the distribution of enhanced weather information in China. The partnership expands AccuWeather's forecast locations and offers people throughout China enhanced weather forecasts of many kinds never before available in China.
AccuWeather, Inc., the global leader in weather information and digital media, has been recognized with a Governor's ImPAct Award, a result of the company's global leadership, expansive reach, and continued growth. The award is in the Export Impact category in recognition of AccuWeather as "a company that has significantly increased its export sales" and consequently has brought outside revenue and new jobs to Pennsylvania.
AccuWeather, Inc., the global leader in weather information and digital media, today announced an exciting new sweepstakes event May 1 - 20. The AccuWeather "20 Days of Giveaways" sweepstakes invites users to enter each day for a chance to win on the AccuWeather Facebook page.
Barry Lee Myers, CEO of AccuWeather, Inc., the global leader in weather information and digital media, has been asked by MediaPost to give a Keynote Interview at the Publishing Insiders Summit on the strengths and opportunities of data-driven advertising for publishers and advertisers.
Dr. Joel N. Myers, Founder, President, and Chairman of AccuWeather, the global leader in weather information and digital media, will be presenting one of the Keynote Presentations at The Big Data Innovation San Jose 2015 summit, hosted by Innovation Enterprise, today at the San Jose Convention Center. In the presentation, Dr. Myers will share his insights on the challenges of big data and the age of transformative innovation and his views on the keys to success and growth during this period of rapid and dramatic change.
AccuWeather, Inc., a global leader in weather information and digital media, today announced its Apple Watch app is now available – offering important, life-saving, on-the-go weather information and alerts with Superior Accuracy instantly and easily accessible to Apple Watch users worldwide.
AccuWeather, Inc., the global leader in weather information and digital media, is pleased to announce that Marie Svet, AccuWeather Chief Revenue Officer, has garnered a prestigious 2015 Top Women in Digital -- Corporate Visionary Award from Cynopsis Media. Cynopsis presents this award to "the women who are making it happen, whether in the trenches or at the leading edge of the digital world".
AccuWeather, Inc., the global leader in weather information and digital media, presents an interactive polling application for the StoryTeller Interactive Touchscreen Solution, providing real-time viewer feedback and polling results at the National Association of Broadcasters (NAB) show this week.
AccuWeather, Inc., the global leader in weather information and digital media, is bringing a new type of forecasting to the revolutionary StoryTeller Interactive Touchscreen Solution with the addition of the Ascel Bio, Inc’s Disease Forecast application.
StoryTeller’s Social Media application now provides local search capabilities to quickly report the local social media pulse on trending topics across Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Google Plus. Enhanced search feature capabilities save time, efficiently honing in on topics of interest through new multiple hashtag, keyword, and location search functionality, screening, and aggregating user content. Broadcasters also easily integrate social media videos, photos, and audio from any workstation to quickly bring each story to life.
Torrential rain and strong thunderstorms pushed across the southern Plains on Saturday, spawning tornadoes and dangerous flash flooding from Kansas to Texas.Read Story >