Multi-location, resizable widgets, optional weather graphs with different layers of detail, and more customizing now available
STATE COLLEGE, PA - February 28, 2013 - The new AccuWeather for Android app takes advantage of many of the new conventions offered by the Android operating system with user-friendly features such as multiple, multi-location and resizable widgets, optional weather graphs with different layers of detail, and even more customization. The app also offers the same experience across all Android smartphones and tablets.
"The new AccuWeather app is truly responsive to the needs of our Android users," said Pascal Racheneur, AccuWeather Vice President of Interactive Media. "It was designed for the user who wants immediately descriptive weather images with minimal text, while the user who wants more information may choose to dive into the bright weather graphs for more weather detail."
AccuWeather worked closely with Google to follow their design guidelines and to capture everything their new operating system has to offer consumers.
More new features include:
- Local forecasts for 2.7 million locations worldwide with forecasts that now update every 15 minutes. Information includes forecasts for the next 15 days - all available in 27 languages.
- Current weather conditions also now updating every 15 minutes with the very latest humidity and precipitation percentages, dew point, visibility, UV index, wind speed gusts and direction, times for sunrise and sunset, and RealFeel® - AccuWeather's exclusive weather forecasting system that analyzes multiple weather factors to determine how the local temperature actually feels.
- Home screen widget displaying two-day forecasts with severe weather warnings for your GPS location, and a time clock. Resizable home screen widgets that can show multiple locations of your choosing are also now available with even more weather detail.
- Customizable My AccuWeather lifestyle forecasts for specific health concerns and outdoor activities. Categories include: Outdoor Fitness, Travel, Respiratory Health, Fishing and Game, and Do-It-Yourself.
- Push notifications for severe weather alerts in the United States, now available for Android tablets in addition to smartphones. For worldwide locations, when AccuWeather forecasts snow, ice, rain, or the probability of thunderstorms, you will see an orange exclamation point displayed within the location's current and 15-day screens.
- European radar now available, in addition to the radar for North America. Worldwide satellite overlaying interactive Google Maps™ is also an option, along with a snapshot view of the maps for your saved locations.
- New, local weather forecast summaries providing an overview of the next five days' weather forecast along with a description of the most dramatic weather event expected during the five days.
- The option to select either portrait and landscape views.
AccuWeather is available for free from Google Play, https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.accuweather.android&referrer=utm_source%3Dv3%26utm_medium%3DPR.
An ad free version of AccuWeather with 25-day forecasts, named AccuWeather Platinum, is also available from Google Play. AccuWeather Platinum can be downloaded for a one-time fee of $0.99 for a limited time only. The regular price is $2.99, but the new app is on sale in celebration of its availability.
About AccuWeather, Inc., and AccuWeather.com
Every day 750 million people worldwide rely on AccuWeather to help them plan their lives, protect their businesses, and get more from their day. AccuWeather provides hourly forecasts for more than 2.7 million locations worldwide, with customized content and engaging video presentations available on smartphones, tablets, wired and mobile internet sites, connected TVs and Internet appliances, as well as via radio, television, and newspapers. Founded in 1962 by Dr. Joel N. Myers - a Fellow of the American Meteorological Society who was recognized as one of the top entrepreneurs in American history by Entrepreneur Magazine's Encyclopedia of Entrepreneurs - AccuWeather also delivers a wide range of highly-customized enterprise solutions to media, business, government, and institutions, as well as news and weather content and video for more than 72,000 third-party websites.
AccuWeather today announced that it receives and processes more than 9.5 billion digital requests for its accurate and personalized weather forecasts with Superior Accuracy(TM) every day from locations all over the world.
AccuWeather, Inc., the global leader in digital weather information to media, the public, and business and industry, today announced that it has acquired Hazard Notifications LLC, of Norman, Okla., an innovative developer of customized weather forecast modeling and mapping with leading-edge, feature-specific applications integrated across digital platforms.
AccuWeather, Inc., the global leader in digital weather information to media, the public, and business and industry, today announced that it has acquired WeatherBank, Inc., an integrated meteorology company that has been an innovative and mainstay part of the weather industry for over 30 years. WeatherBank provides comprehensive weather databases, patented weather technology, and specialized programming and consulting services across major industries and leading businesses.
AccuWeather, the global leader in weather information and digital media, honors Dr. Alfred K. Blackadar, a leader whose contributions in meteorology have significantly impacted the weather enterprise and lives of many.
AccuWeather, the global leader in weather information and digital media, is pleased to work with Internet.org, a Facebook-led initiative, as it makes a historic first launch in South America providing accessible and affordable internet services to the people of the Republic of Colombia. Free basic services through Facebook's Internet.org app will be available to Tigo Colombia customers.
Dr. Joel N. Myers, Founder, President, and Chairman of AccuWeather, Inc., the global leader in weather information and digital media, was invited to present the Keynote speech at the American Meteorological Society (AMS) Third Symposium on the Weather and Climate Enterprise. In his presentation "Transforming the Weather Enterprise", Dr. Myers, one of the true pioneers in the business and science of meteorology, noted that we have entered an extraordinary age of Transformative Innovation where changes are accelerating and occurring faster than ever before and explained what they will mean for the user and the Weather Enterprise as a whole.
AccuWeather, Inc., the global leader in weather information and digital media, today announced it has launched an update to its iOS application that will provide one universal app for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch users everywhere. All AccuWeather App users now have instant access to AccuWeather MinuteCast®, the only global minute-by-minute precipitation forecast for a person’s exact street address or GPS location, across their iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. AccuWeather MinuteCast was first introduced to users of the AccuWeather for iPhone and iPod touch app in 2014, and with this newest app update, the popular forecast only available from AccuWeather is now also available to iPad AccuWeather App users.
AccuWeather, Inc., the global leader in digital weather information and digital media, today announced that the AccuWeather app for Android is available for Android Wear™, providing users with all the weather information they need wherever they go. Android Wear brings you useful information when you need it most, at a glance on your wrist.
AccuWeather, Inc., the global leader in digital weather information and digital media, today announced its critical and unique weather information is helping to power AT&T Drive. David Mitchell, AccuWeather Vice President of Digital Media, Emerging Platforms is participating as a panelist in the 2015 AT&T Developer Summit. The “Developing Content for the Connected Car: A Developer’s Perspective” panel is scheduled for Monday, January 5, 2015 from 4:00-4:45pm at The Palms® Casino Resort Las Vegas.
AccuWeather, the global leader in weather information and digital media, demonstrates its continued leadership in and support for the worldwide meteorological community as a Premier Sponsor of the 95th AMS Annual Meeting, a ground-breaking meteorological conference bringing together members of the Weather Enterprise across weather industry, government, education, and research sectors from around the world. The year’s conference is taking place now through January 8th in Phoenix, Arizona and the theme is “Fulfilling the Vision of Weather, Water, and Climate Information for Every Need, Time, and Place” – a focus that ties effectively to AccuWeather’s commitment in providing weather information with Superior Accuracy™ when and where people need it to improve their lives.