When I got out of college in 1995, I missed the daily interaction amongst the meteorology students and professors. As a result, I started my own online weather organization (WeatherMatrix), and now I manage the communities of weather enthusiasts here at AccuWeather.com, including our photo gallery, forums, Twitter account and Facebook Pages.
- Favorite/most addictive form of social media?
- That's easy: Facebook. Over the last few years, I have grown intimately familiar with its history, technology and how it works. I have found friends from school, work and many weather enthusiasts. I am fascinated by the thought of weather news spreading virally through social media.
- Your current desktop picture?
- My current desktop picture is Dan Stark from "The Good Guys" because sometimes in the management of AccuWeather's online communities, you have to spend some time "bustin' punks."
- What is your earliest memory?
- I can't say for sure if I really remember this, but my mother tells me that my first sentence was: "Dark;might rain more" as I observed an approaching thunderstorm at my childhood home in the Piedmont of North Carolina. Like many weather enthusiasts, I was intensely interested in the weather at a very young age. Our house being struck by lightning in 1987 and Hurricane Hugo in 1989 solidified my career path. I declared my major in meteorology on day one at the University of North Carolina – Asheville.
- Favorite place to vacation?
- Every year of my life (except 2006 when I had just bought a house) I have travelled to Oak Island, N.C., for a family reunion. When my dad was a kid, he lived there with my grandfather who ran a store and miniature golf course. The beach is a great place to observe and photograph the weather. I have met hurricanes, funnel clouds, rainbows and brilliant sunsets there.