I used to have a sweet mouth. Not a sweet tooth, that wouldn’t do justice to my love of all things sugary. In my early college days, I would stop at one of those stores entirely devoted to candies, fill a lunch-sack sized bag, take it to my three-hour writing seminar and share it during class with my best friend. We would finish the bag. And we didn’t share.
I’ve moved on from my sugar-induced writing binges and don’t really enjoy sweets like I used to, but since Valentine’s is just around the corner, I thought I should see what’s out there. Several options appeal to me in the candy category (I’m taken with the extra-big heart lollipop) and any of the dark chocolates on the next page are fair game if you put them within my reach.
HEALTHY CANDY ALTERNATIVES FOR VALENTINE’S DAY:
Note: Ingredients in those little Necco “conversation” hearts? Sugar, corn syrup, corn starch, gelatin, modified food starch, natural and artificial flavors, gum arabic, xanthan gum, FD&C Colors (Red 3, Red 40, Yellow 5, Yellow 6, Blue1).
1. The Natural Candy Store: Online purveyor of all-natural, organic, non-hydrogenated candies.
2. Surf Sweets: Gluten free gummy candies, made in a nut-free facility, corn syrup and GMO free, with only natural colors and flavors using organic fruit juice and sweeteners.
3. Glee Gum: All natural colored and flavored gum.
4. Real Healthy Stuff: Handmade candy with all natural flavors and colors, gluten free and no preservatives.
5. Sugar Coated Organics: An online retailer carrying various organic candies with no artificial flavors or colors and no corn syrup. Many of their brands are gluten free, nut free, dairy free or vegan.
The unsettled spell across the United Kingdom will come to an end before Sunday and the running of The Cancer Research U.K. Boat Races.
A storm system is set to spread heavy, wet snow and some ice across New England Friday into Saturday, bringing a taste of winter back to the region.
Communities from the Ohio Valley to the Gulf Coast will be at risk of severe thunderstorms capable of producing tornadoes and damaging winds into Friday.
At least five people are dead and millions of others remain at risk for heat-related illnesses as a dangerous heat wave continues to have a firm grip on India.
Leisure activities account for two-thirds of all lightning-related fatalities recorded in the United States each year.
Thousands of residents in eastern Australia were forced to evacuate on Thursday as excessive rainfall from former Severe Tropical Cyclone Debbie triggered major flooding.