I used to have a sweet mouth. Not a sweet tooth, that wouldn't do justice to my love of all things sugary. In my early college days, I would stop at one of those stores entirely devoted to candies, fill a lunch-sack sized bag, take it to my three-hour writing seminar and share it during class with my best friend. We would finish the bag. And we didn't share.
Image from www.naturalcandystore.com
I've moved on from my sugar-induced writing binges and don't really enjoy sweets like I used to, but since Valentine's is just around the corner, I thought I should see what's out there. Several options appeal to me in the candy category (I'm taken with the extra-big heart lollipop) and any of the dark chocolates on the next page are fair game if you put them within my reach.
HEALTHY CANDY ALTERNATIVES FOR VALENTINE'S DAY:
Note: Ingredients in those little Necco "conversation" hearts? Sugar, corn syrup, corn starch, gelatin, modified food starch, natural and artificial flavors, gum arabic, xanthan gum, FD&C Colors (Red 3, Red 40, Yellow 5, Yellow 6, Blue1).
1. The Natural Candy Store: Online purveyor of all-natural, organic, non-hydrogenated candies.
2. Surf Sweets: Gluten free gummy candies, made in a nut-free facility, corn syrup and GMO free, with only natural colors and flavors using organic fruit juice and sweeteners.
3. Glee Gum: All natural colored and flavored gum.
4. Real Healthy Stuff: Handmade candy with all natural flavors and colors, gluten free and no preservatives.
5. Sugar Coated Organics: An online retailer carrying various organic candies with no artificial flavors or colors and no corn syrup. Many of their brands are gluten free, nut free, dairy free or vegan.