I'm all for treating yourself to a spa trip once in a while, but it also takes time and money that isn't always available. For a quick fix, try one of these homemade facial treatments from Sarah Camardello, spa director at Mirbeau Inn & Spa in Skaneateles, New York. The best part? The ingredients are probably already in your kitchen.
DIY Lip Scrub
This gritty lip scrub is the perfect at home beauty remedy to hydrate dry chapped lips, or simply to exfoliate for a smooth finish. "Honey works as a natural humectant, so it's really going to hold the moisture in while the sugar provides gentle exfoliation. You will be left with super smooth and intensely hydrated lips," says Sarah.
- Drop 1 teaspoon of 100 percent pure raw honey into a small bowl.
- Add 2 teaspoons of sugar. Mix well. (Sarah suggests using the more gritty raw sugar.)
- Apply a generous amount to lips, massage for one minute, and rinse clean.
Credit: Divine Caroline
Blueberry-Aloe Facial Mask
Sarah's DIY beauty recipe for this facial mask includes antioxidant-rich blueberries to enhance skin's brightness and soothing aloe for irritated skin. It's also a therapeutic concoction for sunburnt skin after too much time spent at the beach. "Blueberries are packed with vitamins and minerals that promote revitalization and healing of the skin to reduce scarring and help blotchy skin," says Sarah.
Blueberry-Aloe Mask Step-by-Step
- Combine ¼ cup of cold organic ripe blueberries and 2 tablespoons of Aloe Vera gel in a small bowl.
- Apply a generous amount of the mixture to your skin.
- Leave on for 20 minutes. Rinse. You will be left with incredibly soft and healthy, glowing skin.
A thick, massive band of mayflies traveling along the Mississippi River created a swarm so intense it became visible on National Weather Service radars on July 20, 2014.Read Story >
A plane carrying 58 people crashed in Taiwan Wednesday evening local time amid heavy rain and gusty winds from former Typhoon Matmo.Read Story >