Have you shunned a drumstick at Thanksgiving because of a fear of fat and calories? In our attempts to trim our turkey dinner we may be cutting out some key nutrients.
We looked at the nutritional benefits of both white and dark meat turkey and learned that there's nothing wrong with fighting over the drumstick after all.
In our side-by-side analysis, we used a 3.5 ounce serving for both white and dark meat turkey, without skin.
* Calories: White meat = 161 calories. Dark meat = 192 calories.
* Fat: White meat = 4 grams. Dark meat = 8 grams.
* Protein: White meat = 30 grams. Dark meat = 28 grams.
* Iron: White meat = 1.57 mg. Dark meat = 2.4 mg.
* Zinc: White meat = 2.08 mg. Dark meat = 4.3 mg.
* Thiamine: White meat = .04 mg. Dark meat = .05 mg.
* Riboflavin: White meat = .13 mg. Dark meat = .24 mg.
* Selenium: White meat = 32.10 mcg. Dark meat = 40.90 mcg.
* Folate: White meat = .01 mcg. Dark meat = 10 mcg.
In a fiery crackdown on illegal fishing, officials from the Pacific island nation of Palau burned a cluster of Vietnamese fishing boats off their coast.Read Story >