Multi-location, resizable widgets, optional weather graphs with different layers of detail, and more customizing now available
STATE COLLEGE, PA - February 28, 2013 - The new AccuWeather for Android app takes advantage of many of the new conventions offered by the Android operating system with user-friendly features such as multiple, multi-location and resizable widgets, optional weather graphs with different layers of detail, and even more customization. The app also offers the same experience across all Android smartphones and tablets.
"The new AccuWeather app is truly responsive to the needs of our Android users," said Pascal Racheneur, AccuWeather Vice President of Interactive Media. "It was designed for the user who wants immediately descriptive weather images with minimal text, while the user who wants more information may choose to dive into the bright weather graphs for more weather detail."
AccuWeather worked closely with Google to follow their design guidelines and to capture everything their new operating system has to offer consumers.
More new features include:
- Local forecasts for 2.7 million locations worldwide with forecasts that now update every 15 minutes. Information includes forecasts for the next 15 days - all available in 27 languages.
- Current weather conditions also now updating every 15 minutes with the very latest humidity and precipitation percentages, dew point, visibility, UV index, wind speed gusts and direction, times for sunrise and sunset, and RealFeel® - AccuWeather's exclusive weather forecasting system that analyzes multiple weather factors to determine how the local temperature actually feels.
- Home screen widget displaying two-day forecasts with severe weather warnings for your GPS location, and a time clock. Resizable home screen widgets that can show multiple locations of your choosing are also now available with even more weather detail.
- Customizable My AccuWeather lifestyle forecasts for specific health concerns and outdoor activities. Categories include: Outdoor Fitness, Travel, Respiratory Health, Fishing and Game, and Do-It-Yourself.
- Push notifications for severe weather alerts in the United States, now available for Android tablets in addition to smartphones. For worldwide locations, when AccuWeather forecasts snow, ice, rain, or the probability of thunderstorms, you will see an orange exclamation point displayed within the location's current and 15-day screens.
- European radar now available, in addition to the radar for North America. Worldwide satellite overlaying interactive Google Maps™ is also an option, along with a snapshot view of the maps for your saved locations.
- New, local weather forecast summaries providing an overview of the next five days' weather forecast along with a description of the most dramatic weather event expected during the five days.
- The option to select either portrait and landscape views.
AccuWeather is available for free from Google Play, https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.accuweather.android&referrer=utm_source%3Dv3%26utm_medium%3DPR.
An ad free version of AccuWeather with 25-day forecasts, named AccuWeather Platinum, is also available from Google Play. AccuWeather Platinum can be downloaded for a one-time fee of $0.99 for a limited time only. The regular price is $2.99, but the new app is on sale in celebration of its availability.
About AccuWeather, Inc., and AccuWeather.com
Every day 750 million people worldwide rely on AccuWeather to help them plan their lives, protect their businesses, and get more from their day. AccuWeather provides hourly forecasts for more than 2.7 million locations worldwide, with customized content and engaging video presentations available on smartphones, tablets, wired and mobile internet sites, connected TVs and Internet appliances, as well as via radio, television, and newspapers. Founded in 1962 by Dr. Joel N. Myers - a Fellow of the American Meteorological Society who was recognized as one of the top entrepreneurs in American history by Entrepreneur Magazine's Encyclopedia of Entrepreneurs - AccuWeather also delivers a wide range of highly-customized enterprise solutions to media, business, government, and institutions, as well as news and weather content and video for more than 72,000 third-party websites.
AccuWeather is working with Samsung to provide a pre-loaded weather app on the newly announced Samsung Galaxy S5. This is the latest step in a strong relationship between the two companies.
Timed to coincide with the recent expansion of BBM™ -- now available on iPhone and Android as well as BlackBerry® smartphones – AccuWeather has launched its own premiere BBM Channel. The new AccuWeather BBM Channel will offer a range of breaking weather information, including severe weather updates, breaking stories, local weather images, radar and more for BBM subscribers across mobile platforms.
AccuWeather today announced it has joined the Tizen Association Partner Program to help further the development and deployment of the Tizen Operating System (OS) platform. The Tizen Association is an industry consortium that supports the development of an open-source software platform and operating system – Tizen – for a wide range of connected devices. As a Tizen Association Partner, AccuWeather will have the opportunity to join relevant Tizen Association Working Groups and to participate in Tizen Association meetings, giving the company more insight and potential input into the development of the Tizen OS.
The day of the Big Game finally arrived and football fans everywhere -- whether watching the game from their living rooms or the 50 yard line – were ready for weather conditions and their possible impacts, thanks to AccuWeather forecasts. For a full 45 days before game day, AccuWeather was accurately predicting no snow.
With next week's start of the 94th annual meeting of the American Meteorological Society, AccuWeather reaffirms its full support, commitment, and appreciation for the foundational weather sets, models, and core infrastructure the government, academic research professionals, and meteorologists in all parts of the weather enterprise contribute to the safety of the national and global populations. As the world’s largest and fastest-growing multi-media weather company and a leading member of the meteorological community, AccuWeather believes this expression of support is especially important at this time.
With less than a week to go before SundayÃ‚Â’s Big Game, the question on everyoneÃ‚Â’s minds has been whether or not it will snow. AccuWeather has been tracking conditions since December 18 on www.WillitSnow.com and the latest forecast indicates players may expect a typical winter day and average chilly temperatures when they take to the field at MetLife Stadium on Sunday.
Since the announcement of the launch of the 24/7 AccuWeather Channel in the third quarter of 2014, the company has seen a groundswell of positive support. In AccuWeather continued commitment to put its audience first, the company responds to audience needs by keeping the focus on forecasts, not fluff -- All Weather, All the Time.
AccuWeather is pleased to announce it will launch a 24X7 weather channel, to be known as the AccuWeather Channel, in the third quarter of 2014.
During the 2014 Consumer Electronics Show, AccuWeather announces its partnership with BT Software and the Kaliki Audio Newsstand to allow drivers to get access to current weather conditions and forecasts on-demand in GM vehicles in 2014.
AccuWeather today announced that it has launched www.WillitSnow.com, providing the most accurate forecasts for the game day and all days leading up to it.