STATE COLLEGE, Pa. April 10, 2012 - Called the 'Best Windows® Phone Ever,' the Nokia Lumia 900 offers the AccuWeather for Windows® Phone app - giving users easy access to their local and detailed weather information. It was created using Windows® Phone Developer Tools and has Windows® Phone unique features, such as two-sided Live Tiles that automatically update the forecasts on the Nokia Lumia 900 start screen.
"Live Tiles are great for multitasking," said Pascal Racheneur, AccuWeather Vice President of Interactive Media. "The two-sided tiles actually flip from one side to the other, switching from current conditions to the day's high and low temperatures. And, the secondary tiles allow for multiple locations to be added to the start screen. This makes for a very convenient, glance and go format that supports our weather forecasts as we update them every hour."
AccuWeather for Windows® Phone features include:
- Accurate and local forecasts for locations worldwide. Updated each hour, forecasts are hourly for the next twenty-four hours, plus day and night weather forecasts and information for the next ten days.
- Panoramic views with easy swiping between stored locations. Seven locations and your current GPS location can be stored with nicknaming capability.
- Current weather conditions displayed with location name and time, temperature, wind speed, wind gust speed, and wind direction; humidity, visibility, UV Index, cloud cover, pressure, and times for sunrise and sunset.
- Day and night weather forecasts which also include precipitation and amounts, wind and wind gust speed, and the RealFeel® temperature - AccuWeather's patented weather algorithm that is the only true measure of what the weather actually feels like, based on eight key weather variables.
- For worldwide locations, when AccuWeather forecasts snow, ice, rain, wind, or the probability of thunderstorms, an orange exclamation point is displayed.
- Multiple weather displays, including animated radar for the United States and Canada, satellite and interactive Bing™ maps for locations worldwide, and current, broadcast-quality weather videos with many available in both English and Spanish.
- Option of choosing between metric or imperial units.
- Special lifestyle forecasts, such as conditions for specific sports and other outdoor activities.
The Nokia Lumia 900 is powered by Microsoft's Windows® Phone software and is available through AT&T. AccuWeather for Windows® Phone is available as a free download in the Windows Marketplace.
About AccuWeather, Inc. and AccuWeather.com
Every day nearly half a billion people worldwide rely on AccuWeather to help them plan their lives, protect their businesses, and get more from their day. AccuWeather provides the most accurate and detailed hourly forecasts for every location where people live and work worldwide (more than 2.7 million locations), with customized content and engaging video presentations available on smart phones, tablets, wired and mobile internet sites, and smart TVs and appliances, as well as on radio and television and in newspapers. Founded in 1962 by Dr. Joel N. Myers - recognized as one of the top 528 entrepreneurs in American history by Entrepreneur Magazine's Encyclopedia of Entrepreneurs - AccuWeather also delivers a wide range of highly-customized enterprise solutions to media, business, government, and institutions, as well as news and weather content and video for more than 50,000 third-party websites, including The Wall Street Journal, CBS News, and The New York Times.
AccuWeather's new MinuteCast(TM) forecast predicts precipitation start and end times on a minute-by-minute basis, right down to your street address.
AccuWeather is working with Samsung to provide a pre-loaded weather app on the newly announced Samsung Galaxy S5. This is the latest step in a strong relationship between the two companies.
Timed to coincide with the recent expansion of BBM™ -- now available on iPhone and Android as well as BlackBerry® smartphones – AccuWeather has launched its own premiere BBM Channel. The new AccuWeather BBM Channel will offer a range of breaking weather information, including severe weather updates, breaking stories, local weather images, radar and more for BBM subscribers across mobile platforms.
AccuWeather today announced it has joined the Tizen Association Partner Program to help further the development and deployment of the Tizen Operating System (OS) platform. The Tizen Association is an industry consortium that supports the development of an open-source software platform and operating system – Tizen – for a wide range of connected devices. As a Tizen Association Partner, AccuWeather will have the opportunity to join relevant Tizen Association Working Groups and to participate in Tizen Association meetings, giving the company more insight and potential input into the development of the Tizen OS.
The day of the Big Game finally arrived and football fans everywhere -- whether watching the game from their living rooms or the 50 yard line – were ready for weather conditions and their possible impacts, thanks to AccuWeather forecasts. For a full 45 days before game day, AccuWeather was accurately predicting no snow.
With next week's start of the 94th annual meeting of the American Meteorological Society, AccuWeather reaffirms its full support, commitment, and appreciation for the foundational weather sets, models, and core infrastructure the government, academic research professionals, and meteorologists in all parts of the weather enterprise contribute to the safety of the national and global populations. As the world’s largest and fastest-growing multi-media weather company and a leading member of the meteorological community, AccuWeather believes this expression of support is especially important at this time.
With less than a week to go before SundayÃ‚Â’s Big Game, the question on everyoneÃ‚Â’s minds has been whether or not it will snow. AccuWeather has been tracking conditions since December 18 on www.WillitSnow.com and the latest forecast indicates players may expect a typical winter day and average chilly temperatures when they take to the field at MetLife Stadium on Sunday.
Since the announcement of the launch of the 24/7 AccuWeather Channel in the third quarter of 2014, the company has seen a groundswell of positive support. In AccuWeather continued commitment to put its audience first, the company responds to audience needs by keeping the focus on forecasts, not fluff -- All Weather, All the Time.
AccuWeather is pleased to announce it will launch a 24X7 weather channel, to be known as the AccuWeather Channel, in the third quarter of 2014.
During the 2014 Consumer Electronics Show, AccuWeather announces its partnership with BT Software and the Kaliki Audio Newsstand to allow drivers to get access to current weather conditions and forecasts on-demand in GM vehicles in 2014.